Friday, September 23, 2011

I love this fresh bean salad/dip.  Especially at this time of  year when there is fresh corn, tomatoes and peppers from my garden.  Nothing beats home grown produce. 

You cant buy produce at the store that tastes as good and as fresh as produce you grow yourself or buy from a farmers market.

I love the Autumn weather and harvest time. 

While I was growing up, this time of year meant harvesting peaches, pears and crisp apples from our small family orchard and vegetables grown in our family garden.  It also meant canning a lot of yummy fruit and vegetables for use later in the winter.  I always enjoy working together, making memories and having fun with these family activities.

Have A Happy Harvest and enjoy the crisp Autumn weather! J

Mexican Salad

Prep: 15 minutes

3 cups raw or cooked fresh corn kernels (I use fresh)
1 can (about 15 oz.) black beans, rinsed
3 ripe tomatoes, cut in chunks
1 each green and red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp each minced garlic, salt and pepper
(I also add finely chopped onion -- purple, yellow or green)

Stir all ingredients in a 2 ½ quart serving bowl.

Make-ahead note: As much as 36 hours in advance, I have put the first 5 ingredients into a bowl (corn, beans, tomatoes and green & red pepper, and cilantro) and stored them in the refrigerator. Then I have separately combined the olive oil, lime juice and seasonings in a separate container and chilled. Several hours before serving I combine these ingredients all together in a serving bowl and chill again.

This can be served with warm tortillas or tortilla chips.

Shauna Parcell, Provider Maintenance Team

No comments:

Post a Comment