Monday, September 26, 2011

One week ago today I buried my darling mother.  It has been a bitter/sweet time and a chance for much reflection.  She has spent a life-time teaching me so much about living and loving.  About 50 years ago she penned the following words revealing her desires for her children:

“I want them (her children) to be individuals, firm in the courage of their convictions, knowing right from wrong and having the courage and confidence to follow the reasonings of their intelligence regardless of what their associates do. I want them always to remember that their example will be reflected in the lives of those around them. I want them to develop their intelligence, knowing that “The Glory of God” is intelligence. I would rather them be loved for their goodness than honoured for their achievements. I do not want them to use their fellows as stepping stones to gain the esteem of men. I want them to walk upright and proud, yet meek enough to acknowledge God as the giver of all they possess; humble enough to pause, and stoop to help the weaker who may stumble; grateful enough not to condemn those who fall short of their standards.

I want them to love life, to find joy and pleasure in all that they do; to know that even in sorrow, there is the seed of joy. I want them never to grow so earnest in their daily routine that they do not pause to give thanks for the beauty of a sunrise, the smell of the rain, the sound of the kookaburra’s laugh!

I know that during their lives, they will make many mistakes. I want them not too stricken by these mistakes, but to grow through them in knowledge and strength. I want them to know that I love and understand them all, that I want to share heartaches and joys, and if they come to me, I’ll know that my work has not been in vain.”

I hope that I do not disappoint her or any of my loved ones – family and friends.

Laurita Murdock, Accounting

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. What a beautiful thing to have her words! Thanks for sharing the gift of her words with the rest of us. I think that description is something we can all aim for in our lives!

    ReplyDelete