Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Utah Is Awesome.

I love the outdoors. Once I moved to Utah, I realized that this state has limitless potential when it comes to hiking, biking, backpacking, climbing, and pretty much anything else you can think of to do outside. At first, I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start. I feel like this blog is a great place to share passions and experience. It could be that someone is in that same "I don't know where to start" phase. We are all in that phase with something in our lives and I hope that these ideas will spark a journey for someone.

I started with the Utah National Park website and searched through all the national parks. They are fairly cheap to get into these parks and they are full of hikes for all skill levels. If you decide to go this route, I would recommend Zion National Park because it has a little something for everyone. If you are ever in a backpacking mood, my favorite spot in Utah is the Lower Red Lake Canyon trail in Canyonlands National Park. The sights are like nothing you have ever seen.

If you want something a little closer to home, the Dog Lake hike is amazing this time of year. There are many hikes listed on the Utah website. It will show you the distance and difficulty of each trail, where to park, and if you can camp in the general area. Whenever I am looking for a place to hit the trail, I always start there. 


The trick is to just get out there. Bring your friends, family, even your dog and I guarantee you will have a great time. We live in an area where people come from all over the world to see. Let's take advantage of it! As always, remember to bring plenty of water and a good, sturdy pair of shoes. If you ever have questions about hikes, equipment, or how to get started, come talk to me. The journey to well-being is all about finding a balance. The prize in this journey is not tangible, it is what we make of it, and experiencing outdoor Utah is a great place to start!


Matt Blum
Healthcare Systems

No comments:

Post a Comment